Hello all my crafty friends! Today, I have 2 fun cards using alcohol inks and an embossing folder. I had posted this to my Instagram and also in some Facebook groups with people asking: 1. What kind of paper I used and 2. If I inked or embossed first. I thought I would make a post about my process making these and hopefully you can try this technique too!
- For this technique, I used alcohol ink cardstock. It is similar to Yupo paper that most people use for alcohol inks but it makes it much easier to do heat embossing (which is mainly why I have it…) and maybe I got it on sale!
- I also inked the pieces first. In all honesty, I was just playing with my inks and had no idea what I was going to do with the finished pieces. I did try embossing first and then inking. The results weren’t bad but a little different. I found that the inks got trapped more in sections and didn’t move as much even with the blending solution added. It also seemed like it needed a lot more blending solution than doing the inking first. These results may be different with traditional Yupo paper but I don’t have any to try it out.
Now, a little more about how I made the actual cards! I inked each piece (white glossy and silver) alcohol ink cardstock with a variety of colors. These included: Flamingo, Red Pepper, Coral, Sunshine Yellow, Amethyst, Vineyard and Rose Gold mixative (purple only). I used the Alcohol ink blower and it is a life saver to move the inks around! I highly suggest it!
After the inks were dry, I ran the Floral Centerpiece embossing folder and panel through my die cutting machine with the proper “sandwich”. I did notice a bit of cracking on the white (pinks) background. This doesn’t bother me and I assume that with Yupo it may not do this. I didn’t notice any cracking on the silver cardstock (purples).
I trimmed about an 1/8th of an inch from the sides (not the top and bottom) and added it to a heavy weight top folding white card base. I used liquid adhesive and placed something heavy on top for just a few minutes to ensure it would adhere.
I cut the “Sending Smiles” sentiment 4 times from heavy weight white cardstock and glued 2 together for a little dimension. I also cut multiples of the mini flowers and leaves. Some were doubled for dimension…others I left as just a single layer. These elements were adhered with liquid glue and a large acrylic block was placed on top to ensure they didn’t move. I finished the flower centers with some enamel dots to pull in the colors of the backgrounds.
I love how this technique turned out and I really hope you try it too! If you have any questions or comments please leave them below… I’d be happy to answer them!
Stay crafty my friends!